Five star reviews and sell out shows
‘Riveting style that fuses everything that is imaginative about modern circus and cabaret techniques…This is beyond cabaret and into the realm of high dramatic art. If I could give it six stars I would, a triumph’ ☆☆☆☆☆ (TheatreBath.co.uk).
SOLD OUT – Bath Fringe Spiegeltent
SOLD OUT – Cardiff Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
Highly entertaining circus and cabaret based on the life and work of Alfred Hitchcock in which the audience enters a darkly funny and twisted world of suspense and intrigue. The performers draw you into the shadows as they balance on a knife edge!
Walking the line between hilarity and suspense the cabaret includes a singing Mrs. Danvers extolling her beloved Rebecca, a Vertigo victim walking a wire in high heels, Tippi Hedren on a chinese pole beset by Birds and Marlene Dietrich prowling the theatre looking for an accomplice or victim.
The show is set to a live soundtrack with music by Tom Elstob (The Idol Rich), Bethan Cecil and Branwen Munn (4 Hero).
As with all great shows it has always been this company’s true destiny to appear here at the Edinburgh Fringe where this fabulous young troupe await your full deserved enthusiastic support.
Arrive early for an amazing 100 meter long high wire walk across the BIG SEXY CIRCUS CITY by FLOWN stuntman Ellis Grover (Pirates of the Carabina) plus doubles aerial hoop from Alicia Keys’ MTV performers Helina Griffiths and Janine Mahon. They will be supported by our BIG SEXY CIRCUS CITY CREW including stilt walkers, unicyclists, acrobats, walkabout performers and plenty of outdoor preshow entertainment (FREE!) with great street food and funky bars until midnight. Glastonbury Circus Big Top favourite Swing Circus is free with a ticket to HITCH! or WINGS! Also you are then entitled to stay and watch the brilliant Ms Merlin’s Interstellar Big Sexy All Star Cabaret, high octane hilarious cabaret until midnight which again is free with your ticket to HITCH or WINGS (That’s an amazing THREE FOR ONE DEAL which lasts all day!) See homepage for all shows.
Mary Bijou Cabaret & Social Club
….is a collective of international circus and cabaret artists who create exciting immersive performances in intimate and alternative spaces. This innovative fun company have recently appeared at numerous prestigious venues in Wales and England including Machynlleth Comedy Festival, Wales Millennium Centre, Newport Riverfront and the Bath Fringe Spiegeltent, Brighton Fringe Spiegeltent, And just this July closing the Postcard Festival at London’s Jacksons Lane Theatre
In 2011 Mary Bijou were invited by the Wales Millennium Centre to perform as part of the Blysh festival. They created a new show, “Port of Amsterdam” inspired by the music of Jaques Brel, and after that success were again invited back with a new show “Revolution Cubana” in 2012. The current show “Hitch” is a circus cabaret inspired by Alfred Hitchcock and was commissioned by the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff and funded by Arts Council Wales. It was first performed at the Wales Millenium Centre in 2013 for four nights to enthralled sold out audiences.
Hitch then set out on a fringe festival tour performing in intimate tents and Spiegletents at Machynlleth Comedy Festival, Brighton Fringe and Bath Fringe selling out all along the way.
The shows are increasing in popularity and consistently warrant high attendances through their superb quality good fun and friendly approach to circus. Mary Bijou are now going from strength to strength.
The Big Sexy Circus City are delighted to be inviting HITCH! as our centrepiece show at the Big Sexy Big Top for the Edinburgh Fringe 2015.Fancy dress is optional and highly recommended for a fun night out.
George Orange, co-founder
- George is a performance artist, circus performer, outdoor theatre maker, former mascot, ex-drag performer, co-founder of the Mary Bijou Cabaret & Social Club, and director, but most of all and without a doubt … a CLOWN. Past work includes Parklife and Mundo Paralelo (NoFit State Circus). Facade (Crashmat Collective) and ten seasons with Chicago’s Midnight Circus. George also tours internationally in his solo show Man On The Moon.
Anna Sandreuter, co-founder
- Anna studied at Circus Space, London before founding her own company Crashmat Collective and the Mary Bijou Cabaret & Social Club.She toured with Nofit State Circus for three years in the internationally acclaimed performance of ImMortal and with NoFit State Circus Parklife, National Theatre Wales Mundo Paralelo, London International Mime Festival Jan 2012 and on Labyrinth at the Eden Project. She has taught hundreds of circus classes at NoFit State Circus and around the world. Anna specialises in vertical rope and hula hoop.
Adam Cobley – Technical Manager/Lighting Design
- Adam has collaborated with Mary Bijou Cabaret since 2010. He was Lighting Designer and production electrician for NoFit State Circus 2002-2006, and lighting designer for their shows ImMortal, Tabu (assistant lighting designer), Labyrinth, and their current show, Bianco. Adam is currently the head technician of the National Dance Company of Wales. He has also designed for Crashmat Collective, Pirates of the Carabina and Likely Story Theatre plus others. Adam is a graduate of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Mark Robson – Production Manager/Photography
- After performing in the double acts The Inept Sisters and Gravedad Inepta, Mark ran away with Nofitstate Circus to do pyrotechnics in the 1995 show, Autogeddon. Involved in many Nofit shows since then, including the Splott on the Landscape series of shows, Parklife and Barricade, Mark has worked with Nofitstate in a mind-bogglingly large range of roles, including performing, production, pyrotechnics, producing, photography and teaching, as well as finding time to sit on the board of trustees. A selection of his circus photography can be found at Ineptgravity Photography. Mark has performed in virtually all of the Mary Bijou shows, frequently as the drunk in the corner.
Eleanor Pilott – Bossy boots
- Ellie has collaborated with Mary Bijou since the first show in 2010. Nofit State circus inspired her to take up hula hoop but she is too shy to perform so she stays in the background and does a number of jobs filling in where appropriate but mainly the administration and marketing. She is a proficient tea drinker, junk shop trawler, hula hoop teacher and property finder. She makes Mary Bijou Go, Go, Go.
Tom Elstob – Sound Design/Live music
- Tom has collaborated with Mary Bijou since 2010 and also worked with Crashmat Collective, Pirates of the Carabina, Likely Story, Pins & Needles and has written original scores for The Lyric Hammersmith and The Egg (Theatre Royal Bath). He became an associate member of Likely Story Theatre Company in 2011 and has released two albums under the name ‘The Idol Rich’.
Josh Robson- Lighting Design
- Having grown up and learnt his trade on tour with Nofit State Circus on their shows Tabu and Labyrinth.. He regularly collaborates with Fat Git Theatre and Mary Bijou Cabaret and Social Club, and has recently toured with Crashmat on Facade.
James Williams, Director
- Recent directing work includes FLOWN (Pirates of the Carabina)- Winner of the Total Theatre Award for Physical Theatre at the Edinburgh Fringe 2013.Other accomplishments and productions; The First Time Machine for Run Ragged, Rude, My Life In CIA and Heart of Darkness for Give It A Name, House 4 Sale for Theatr Ffynnon, The Adventures of Sancho Panza for Hijinx Theatre, Naked Dictators for the Unknown Theatre Company, The Elves and the Shoemakers for Sherman Cymru and Dignity – A Tale of Two Wards for Comic Relief and the NHS. Other companies worked for include the Torch Theatre, Alice Theatre, Welsh National Opera, Theatre Royal Plymouth, Theatrician n Kolkata, India and the Millennium Dome for whom he wrote and directed the musical Dancing on Tables. He was transmedia director for The Passion for National Theatre Wales.This is James’s first show with Mary Bijou.He has also directed the musical Cult which is playing in Venue 13 at the Edinburgh Fringe this year.
“Mary Bijou Cabaret are a joy to work with… Inventive, skilful and captivating. They manage to capture the audience’s imagination and make them see things in a new and exciting way.” Gareth Lloyd Roberts (Producer, Wales Millennium Centre)
“Mary Bijou Cabaret is a wonderful home grown gem of entertainment. You’re guaranteed a good night out at anything they are involved with.” Helia Phoenix (We are Cardiff, winner of best Welsh blog 2012).
“Mary Bijou Cabaret is a playful and eclectic collection of talents with circus skills and silliness in equal measure. Their infectious energy and sense of fun will get you involved and you won’t ever want to leave. They are a joy to have around and a pleasure to work with.” Annabelle Holland (The Social Club, Shambala Festival)
“Bold, unique and comic works such as those from Mary Bijou are not easy to come by.” Simon Coates (National Theatre Wales)
Don’t miss this great fun night out,….book now to avoid disappointment!